Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP Act)
Collection of Personal information Notice under s. 33 of the FOIP Act
The information collected on Foothills School Division’s student registration form as part of the school registration process is personal information as referred to in the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FOIP Act”). This personal information is collected pursuant to the provisions of the School Act/Education Act and its regulations (e.g. for the establishment of a student record, determination of residency) and pursuant to section 33(c) of the FOIP Act as the collection is related directly to and is necessary to a school board’s obligation to provide students with an education program that meets their needs and to provide a safe and secure school environment (e.g. program placement, determination of eligibility and/or suitability for provincial or federal funding, contact and health related information in the event of problems or emergencies). Personal information may also be provided to the Minister of Education for the purpose of carrying out programs, activities, or policies under his administration (e.g. research, statistical analysis).
In accordance with its obligations to collect, use and disclose personal information only in accordance with the FOIP Act, Foothills School Division No. 38 believes the uses of personal information, as described above and listed below, are part of a vital, healthy, and functioning school, and participation of all students in these activities is viewed as an important part of a student’s education. The following are examples of how personal information may be used for school-related activities and is not intended to be an exhaustive list:
- The use of a student’s photograph/image for school-related purposes including report cards, student records, student identification cards, school library cards, school yearbooks, newsletters, recognition, composites, displays at school or Division buildings, emergency, medical, legal, law enforcement and/or matters related to safety or security.
- The use of the student’s name, school, grade, academic information, and/or written material for the school newsletter, yearbook, and/or other school publications.
- The use or disclosure of a student’s name, school, grade, and/or academic information for the identification or assignment of classroom or teacher, use for class photos, collection of resources, recognition of birthdays, academic/athletic achievement, or community involvement, honour roll, graduation ceremonies, scholarships, or other school or Division awards.
- The use of a student’s name, address, telephone number, grade, school, program, parent’s/legal guardian’s name and related contact information for the provision of transportation services, taking attendance, emergencies, field trips, planning and/or other school-related activities.
- The use of a student’s name, school, grade, and/or photo for athletic events, fine arts productions, presentations, fairs, celebrations and/or school sponsored activities.
- The use of a student’s photo/video/images taken by Division personnel of classroom or other school sponsored activities held within the school for educational purposes.
- The use by Division personnel of a student’s photograph, video tape, audio tape and/or interview by Division personnel in connection with activities held outside of the school.
- The use of a student’s name, address, telephone number, school, program, grade, parent’s name and related contact information for the purpose of satisfaction surveys.
- The use of a student’s name for individual class, club, team and/or group photos/videos/images taken at school sponsored activities for display in the school.
- The use of a student’s name, photo/image, birth date, parent’s/legal guardian’s name, telephone number, address and any student health and/ or relevant personal information to assist authorized individuals in responding to emergency situations relating to safety and security, for law enforcement purposes and other legal requirements, and to assist those who have severe or life-threatening medical or other conditions.
- The use of photos and/or videos of classroom activities by media or other organizations.
Note: Events that are open to the general public are considered public events. Foothills School Division No. 38 cannot control or prevent the further distribution or use of photos, videos, images or other personal information by those who attend.
If you have any concerns or questions with respect to the collection or use of personal information, please contact your school principal or:
Superintendent of Schools
Foothills School Division No. 38
129 4th Ave. SW
PO Box 5700, High River, Alberta T1V 1M7