Rules and Procedures
Our Administrative Procedures are the primary written source of administrative direction for the Division. They are designed to be entirely consistent with Board Policies, and are an extension of policy in the form of procedures.
- The bus driver is in charge of the bus at all times. Students are expected to obey the driver’s directions promptly and respectfully.
- Students must sit in their assigned seats, facing the front of the bus at all times. The driver has the authority to change assigned seating at any time.
- Students must not, under any circumstances, leave their seats while the bus is in motion.
- Only quiet conversation with immediate seat-mates will be permitted.
- Students must not throw paper or other rubbish on the floor of the bus or out the bus windows.
- Eating on the bus is prohibited unless specific permission is obtained from the driver.
- Students must not extend arms or heads out of the bus windows.
- The use of profane or abusive language while on the bus is strictly prohibited.
- Smoking, vaping, lighting matches or lighters while on the bus is strictly prohibited.
- The use of, or being under the influence of, drugs and/or alcohol while on the bus is strictly prohibited.
Students who disobey these rules may be required to make alternate transportation arrangements!
- Ensure your child is at the designated bus stop five minutes prior to the bus’s scheduled arrival time.
- Ensure your child is familiar with their bus stop location.
- When the weather is inclement, it is your responsibility to ensure your child’s bus is running. Check our website and Twitter or listen to the radio for updates. You are responsible for your child’s safety and wellbeing until they board the bus.
- Ensure your child is appropriately dressed according to weather conditions.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for any damage caused by their child on the bus or to private property adjacent to school bus stops.
- Encourage your child to follow all school bus regulations. Ultimately, you are responsible for their conduct.
Purpose of the School Bus
The school bus is intended to transport students to and from school in a safe and efficient manner. FSD is not obligated to transport special equipment, tools or instruments that are required for activities outside of school (e.g. after school jobs, tutoring, music lessons, sports, etc.). Parents/guardians of students enrolled in these types of activities are ultimately responsible for transportation of any items that may be required
Large Items on School Buses
The transportation of large items/cargo on school buses is governed by various pieces of legislation that state the requirements for items to be transported safely on a school bus that are operated by or contracted to the Foothills School Division #38.
Cargo permitted on a Foothills School Division school bus must be capable of being safely:
Held by the passenger on their lap or;
Stored under the seat between the student’s legs; and
May not exceed 33cm X33cm X59cm (13”X13”X23”)
Items may include, but are not limited to:
Lunch containers and books;
Skates with guards affixed in a secure bag (the bag not exceeding 33cm X 33cm X 59cm (13” X 13” X 23”));
Small Musical Instruments;
Basketballs, Volleyballs, Soccer balls and Tennis balls etc. must be in sport bags at all times (the bag not exceeding 33cm X 33cm X 59cm (13” X 13” X 23”)).
Cargo not permitted on a Foothills School Division school bus:
Items may include, but are not limited to:
Hockey Sticks & Hockey Bags;
Golf Clubs & Golf Bags;
Skis & Ski poles;
Tents, tent poles or other camping equipment;
School Projects such as dioramas or science boards;
Large musical instruments with or without a case (not exceeding 33cm X 33cm X 59cm (13” X 13” X 23”)).
** NO ITEMS ARE ALLOWED IN THE AISLES OR IN DESIGNATED EXITS **
Large items cannot protrude into the aisles or above the seats or into another student’s space. Bus seats are 39” wide and a number of busses are carrying three students to a seat, which is the allowed maximum capacity. As many of the Foothills School Division busses are at or near capacity, students will only be allowed to take either a sports bag or band instrument (compliant with the dimensions provided here) along with their school books/back pack.
Band instructors within the Division will do what they can to ensure that students have the ability to meet these guidelines, whether it’s a spare instrument at home to practice with (bring mouthpiece back and forth) or assigning instruments that are easily carted on the bus. As well instructors will have to plan band excursions/trips so that there is separate, safe, transportation for band instruments & music stands so that they are not on the same bus as students