Explore the wide variety of resources available to educators, parents and the community to promote active living, healthy eating and positive mental health…
Alberta Health Services:
- AHS Information for Schools & Teachers: Link to other AHS web pages with information, curriculum-linked lesson plans, resources, and articles for school newsletters on specific health topics for schools.
- Provincial Teacher Resource List: Developed to help teachers and schools promote the Comprehensive School Health approach in a classroom setting. The list includes both resources that can be used by teachers in the classroom and resources for teachers about specific health topics (e.g. active living, addiction prevention, body image and nutrition)
- Healthy Schools Calendars: Scroll down the page to access calendar links.
- Healthy Children & Healthy Teens Newsletters: Scroll down the page to access these parent newsletters.
Creating a Healthy School Community:
- ALBERTA HEALTHY SCHOOL COMMUNITY WELLNESS FUND: A joint initiative betweenAlberta Education, Alberta Health, the Centre for Health Promotion Studies and the Alberta Coalition of Healthy School Communities, the Wellness Fund advances comprehensive school health by funding projects that enhance health and wellness among school-aged children and youth to create sustainable healthy school communities.
- CANADIAN ASSOCIATION FOR SCHOOL HEALTH: A national association composed of provincial/territorial coalitions whose member promote the health of children and youth through school-related health promotion (Comprehensive School Health).
- EVER ACTIVE SCHOOLS: Ever Active Schools (EAS) is a provincial initiative designed to assist school communities in addressing and creating healthy school communities. EAS contributes to the healthy development of children and youth by fostering social and physical environments that support improving the health and learning outcomes of students in Alberta.
- HEALTH CANADA – EAT WELL AND BE ACTIVE EDUCATIONAL TOOL KIT: Designed to help those who teach groups of children and adults about healthy eating and physical activity, and encourage individuals to take action to maintain and improve their health.
- HEALTHY SCHOOLS BC: A counterpart to Ever Active Schools in Alberta, this site is loaded with great ideas for schools to foster wellness in their school community..
- PAN-CANADIAN JOINT CONSORTIUM FOR SCHOOL HEALTH: A partnership of 25 Ministries of Health and Education across Canada working to promote a Comprehensive School Health approach to student wellness/well-being and achievement/success for all children and youth.
- PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION CANADA: A professional organization for physical and health educators.
- PUBLIC HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA – HEALTHY LIVING UNIT: Works within the Centre for Health Promotion to help coordinate and deliver the Public Health Agency of Canada’s activities under the Integrated Pan-Canadian Healthy Living Strategy and the Integrated Strategy on Healthy Living and Chronic Disease.
- ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING: An internationally recognized research and education centre focusing on physical activity.
- CANADIAN PHYSICAL ACTIVITY GUIDELINES AND CANADIAN SEDENTARY BEHAVIOUR GUIDELINES: From the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology.
- HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION COUNCIL: A specialist council of the Alberta Teachers’ Association.
- POSITIVE PLAYGROUNDS: For parents, teachers and leaders, provides excellent game resources for recess, physical education classes, fun days, substitute plans, peer support, leadership programs, initiatives such as Alberta’s Daily Physical Activity (DPA), community playgrounds and your own back yard.
- PROVINCIAL FITNESS UNIT OF ALBERTA: Alberta’s longest-standing not-for-profit organization, working at the grass roots to promote healthy, active lifestyles for all Albertans through advocacy and the activities of the Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association (AFLCA) and the Be Fit for Life Network programs.
- SHAPE – SAFE HEALTHY ACTIVE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE: An Alberta non-profit organization that promotes the “Active & Safe Routes to Schools” programs, encouraging students to walk or bike to school on a regular basis.
- ALBERTA MILK: A non-profit organization representing the province’s dairy producers, undertaking a variety of activities to inform Albertans of the nutritional benefits of mil and milk products.
- APPLE SCHOOLS: This Alberta project aims to make the healthy choice the easy choice by changing school environments to foster lifelong health and learning.
- BREAKFAST FOR LEARNING: A national charity that educates and empowers communities to deliver school based nutrition programs, helping children and youth realize their full potential in life.
- CANADA’S FOOD GUIDE: Information on food guide basics, choosing foods and maintaining healthy habits.
- DIETICIANS OF CANADA: Promote easier access to trusted food and nutrition information from dietitians.
Positive Mental Health:
- CANADIAN MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATION: Promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing mental illness. The CMHA approaches this mission through advocacy, education, research and service. CMHA branches across Canada provide a wide range of services and supports to people who are experiencing mental illness and their families, tailored to the needs and resources of the communities where they are based.
- POSITIVE MENTAL HEALTH TOOLKIT: From the Pan-Canadian Joint Consortium for School Health.
- MENTAL HEALTH TOOLKIT: From Homewood Health