Board Highlights - May 15
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
Presentation: Honouring Spirit Indigenous Student Award
Congratulations to Longview School student Harlam Cairo Cree Rollinmud who received honorable mention for the ASBA Honoring Spirit: Indigenous Student Award based on his leadership, exceptional academics and for honoring his culture.
As one of the attendees of the ASCA Conference this year, Ecole Percy Pegler School Council Chair Laurie Wright gave the Board an update on the sessions she attended at the event. Ms Wright talked about some initiates she hopes to launch. The School Council Chairs who attended the conference found it incredibly valuable and enjoyed networking with one another.
Millarville School Grade Configuration
In May 2018, Millarville Community School submitted a request to the Board of Trustees to consider grade reconfiguration at Millarville Community School from K-8 to a K-9 configuration. In early May 2018, School Council initiated a survey of parents in the Millarville community. A total of 102 response were received from a community of approximately 120 families. 96% of families expressed their desire to keep their child at Millarville School for grade 9, their primary reasons cited were: keeping their child in a consistent environment during the junior high years (grade 7-9) and making a more natural transition to high school.
As per Policy 15 – School Closure/Reconfiguration the following dates will be set for public consultation sessions;
- September 10, 2019 (6:30 pm – 8:00 pm) – Millarville Community School
- September 24, 2019 (6:30 pm – 8:00 pm) – Oilfields High School
These dates will be advertised in the schools and other public locations in June. A newspaper advertisement will be posted in early September. Public Submissions will be accepted until October 15, 2019. Online submissions via Thought Exchange could be done from September 14–October 15, 2019. A report will be prepared and submitted to the Board of Trustees for a decision at the November 13, 2019 board meeting.
The Board approved facility improvement projects as presented in the amount of $2,000,000 to be funded with Board Reserves. Projects include:
- $630,000 – Repave asphalt at Ecole Secondaire Foothills Composite High School
- $400,000 – Repave asphalt at Ecole Secondaire Highwood High School
- $375,000 - Expand Transportation Services parking
- $250,000 – Repaint hallways and classrooms in 14 schools
- $146,000 - Reconfigure bus loop at Ecole Secondaire Foothills Composite High School
- $100,000 – Upgrade sound systems in schools
- $50,000 – Countertop replacement in schools
- $49,000 – FSD Cultural Awareness space created
Westmount School Education Plan
Principal Jordan Rhodes and Vice Principals Stacey Swanson and Sherry Opas presented Westmount School’s Education Plan. Their learning priorities include:
- Ensure all students are literate and numerate. Learning opportunities are designed in all subject areas and grade levels to develop learners’ ability, confidence and willingness to engage, communicate and create.
- Foster a culture of belonging where diversity is expected and celebrated where each learner is welcomed, cared for, respected and safe.
June 5, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
The Regular Board Meeting of June 5, 2019 will start 30 minutes later (1:30pm) to accommodate the Board Recognition Lunch being held that day. The Recognition Lunch honours recipients of the Excellence in Supporting Student Success Award; the Distinguished Leadership Award; and nominee of the Edwin Parr Award.
Trustee Conference of Choice
Trustee Nichols requested that the Board support her attendance at the Galileo IDEAS 2019 Conference in Calgary on July 3 & 4, 2019.
The Capital & Supportive Project Planning Update was presented to the Board. The report included an update on Meadow Ridge School; Wedderburn Community; Wind Walk Community; the proposed annexation in Black Diamond; Cameron Crossing School; ESFCHS/AHSFA modular classroom; Transportation Services; Foothills Christian Academy; and Joint Use and Planning Agreements.
Public Announcements / Recognition / Division Highlights
- The Meadow Ridge School Parent Engagement evening was well attended and parents appeared to be very excited with what is happening and are looking forward to being involved.
- Longview School hosted a workshop with the task of developing land acknowledgements.
- Congratulations to the Grade 5 students at Spitzee School who graduated from the DARE Program.
- FSD students participated in the Provincial Skills Championships. Congratulations to:
- Julie Hayward – Graphic Design – Gold
- Anna Koehler – Baking – Gold
- Mac Simmonds – Carpentry – Gold
- Marcus Carey – Joinery – Bronze
- Megan Pratt – Video Production – Bronze
- Alex Vander Maaten – Video Production – Bronze
- Kudos to all the students who attended the APEGA Science Olympics.
- Red Deer Lake School had a contingency of Grade 9 students who attended the STEM Conference at the University of Calgary.
- Ecole Okotoks Junior High School choir students, under the direction of Mr. Shumka, attended the West Coast Concert Festival during Spring Break in April. They received the Silver award for the Chamber Choir and the Gold award for the Performance Chamber Choir. For their excellent performance, the Performance Chamber Choir was invited to perform at the MusicFest Canada National Festival. They will perform at the 2020 Festival to be held in Calgary.