Board Highlights - June 19
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
Introduction of New Superintendent
Chair Larry Albrecht formally introduced Dr Christopher Fuzessy, Superintendent of Schools.
Curriculum and Instructional Facilitator Shelly Read presented the Numeracy and Mathematics – Year One Priorities as follows:
Priority #1 – Developing a Mathematical Mindset
Priority #2 – Strengthening our Pedagogy: Math is more than an answer on a page
Priority #3 – Basic Fact Fluency and Running Records: Fluency is like a four-legged stool
Presentation: Student Exchange Report
Mme Lesley Doell, French Services Instructional Coach introduced students Harley Giesbrecht and Rhea Jones both from ESFCHS/AHSFA and teachers Mme Reboullet, Ecole Joe Clark School and Mme Macey-Reid, Ecole Percy Pegler School all of whom reported on the French Exchange Program stating that the whole experience was exhilarating and very informative.
Classroom Practice Innovative Projects (CPIP)
Assistant Superintendent Caroline Roberts presented on behalf of the CPIP Committee. Collaborative teams of staff, students, and parents of Foothills School Division were encouraged and invited to submit proposals for the Classroom Practice Innovative Projects Grant from Foothills School Division Board of Trustees. Proposed innovative and creative projects must meet the criteria outlined in the application and be aligned with Foothills School Division’s mission, beliefs and commitments. Four submissions were approved:
• $12,000 to Heritage Heights School – STEAM Residence Project
• $12,000 to Oilfields High School – Blacksmithing
• $7,000 to Big Rock School – Spiraling Math Medicine Wheel Collaboration
• $3,500 to Ecole Joe Clark School – Common Community Reading
The Board participated in a conference call hosted by the Education Minister to update Trustees on the Education Act.
FSD Sport Academy / Global Sport Academy Group
Assistant Superintendent, Allen Davidson provided an update on the Foothills School Division Sports Academy/Global Sport Academy Group Program. Foothills School Division entered into a partnership with Global Sport Academy Group in 2015. This elite hockey program is being made available to male and female students both at Ecole Okotoks Junior High School (Year 3) and Ecole Secondaire Foothills Composite High School (Year 2).
Anticipated 2019/20 registrations to date are:
• Grade 7 – 15-18 (male & female)
• Grade 8 – 18-28 (male & female)
• Grade 9 – 15-18 (male & female)
• Grades 10-12 – 15-17 (male & female)
Monthly Financial Update
Director of Finance, Denise Gow presented the monthly financial update noting that the collection of fees is still in the collections process in May.
Learning Services Update
Assistant Superintendent Caroline Roberts presented the Learning Services Update which covered Staff Development; Inclusive Learning; Student Learning; Early Learning; Kindergarten Screening; Research Partnership Program; Early Intervention; and French Immersion.
Public Announcements / Recognition / Division Highlights
• Graduation ceremonies are currently taking place. This is an exciting time for students, teachers and families and congratulations are extended to all graduates.
• The Foothills School Division Board Organizational Meeting took place today. Larry Albrecht was once again nominated as Chair and Theresa Letendre declared Vice Chair.
• Many year-end events are currently taking place and Trustees along with Division Office staff have the privilege of attending these.
• Sincere appreciation was extended to Mr Mikes and Sobeys in High River for their donation of food to support school events. Foothills School Division thanks all local businesses for their donations and support.
• The Dr Morris Gibson DARE Graduation took place – congratulations to all involved.
• The Milestones Recognition event was very successful. Congratulations to everyone who received a long service award and best wishes to those retiring from the Division.
• This being the final board meeting of the 2019-20 year, Chair Albrecht thanked the Board for their dedication and commented on the excellent achievements attained this year.
• Chair Albrecht expressed sincere appreciation to Deputy Superintendent Pamela Rannelli for her commitment in her role as Acting Superintendent this year.