Update: Budget 2020-2021 & School Relaunch
Budget 2020-2021 and 2020-2021 Relaunch Update
This approved Budget and Education Plan reflect the many priorities identified by our school community and staff team. The Board of Trustees remain committed to ensuring that decisions continue to align and reflect the feedback received from our communities, including the Budget and Education Plan Engagement and current School Relaunch Engagement.
Highlights of the 2020-2021 Budget and 2020-2023 Education Plan include:
- Maintenance of teacher staffing levels across the Division.
- Maintenance of support staff staffing levels across the Division:
- Including maintenance of all permanent education assistant and youth development coach positions for the 2020-2021 school year.
- The opportunity to support new revenue streams through the development of a Foothills School Division Foundation and Grant Writing Program.
- Significant changes from our original draft budget document to include provisions for enhanced cleaning and potential cost increases due to COVID-19 and what demands that may place on the budget:
- Budget amount to support day time custodian in schools for 2020-2021 school year for enhanced cleaning protocols to support a safe school relaunch.
- Budget amount to support additional high touch surface cleaning after school hours for 2020-2021 school year to support a safe school relaunch.
- Flexible Learning through the Hub@Home. Foothills School Division Hub Program is expanding to offer online programming from Grades 1 to 12. Hub@Home is designed for students who are interested in learning from home, need greater flexibility in pacing, when they access their learning and where they learn.
- Relaunch 2020-2021 strategies embedded in the Education Plan 2020-2023 provide overall direction for system planning for school relaunch and continuity of learning. Relaunch strategies focus on advancing engagement, support, and success for each learner in Foothills School Division.
Board Chair Larry Albrecht says, “This is an unusual year requiring increased adaptability as the Provincial Government made significant changes to the funding framework for Alberta school authorities across the province and as all of us continue to navigate the COVID-19 response. We are confident this budget and the Three-Year Education Plan provide Foothills School Division students and staff the required resources and flexibility to continue to experience quality learning through exploring, developing, and celebrating their unique gifts and abilities in a safe and caring environment.”
Within the Foothills School Division, we are continuing preparations for a welcoming return to school. Families have a voice in this process and are encouraged to become involved. Details of the 2020-2021 school relaunch and current engagement are available online.