School Bus Transportation
2019-20 In-Town Schedules: Will be available August 26, 2019
2019-20 Rural Route Schedules: Bus drivers contact eligible families the last week of August to provide information regarding each student’s pick up / drop off locations and times.
Does your student qualify for Transportation?
Foothills School Division offers two types of student transportation services:
No Fee Transportation
- Students registered in Foothills School Division (FSD) and attending a school within their designated attendance boundary; or
- Students directed to a school outside their attendance boundary school for FSD regional programs (these include French Immersion, and inclusive learning programs).
In both situations, families qualify for transportation based on the following conditions:
- Students whose residence (home address) is 2.4 kilometers* or further from their designated school; or
- Students in kindergarten to grade 3 whose residence (home address) is 1.6 kilometers* or further from their designated school and who do not have an older sibling to walk with.
In accordance with Alberta Education funding guidelines transportation cannot be provided to multiple addresses. FSD buses are the predominant form of transportation. In situations where it is not practical/cost-efficient to offer busing, due to factors including location, distance or individual student requirements, alternative forms of transport will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.* Distances are determined using an approved Alberta Education Logistics program
My student qualifies for No Fee Transportation:
- Students that were enrolled in Foothills School Division prior to the end of June 2019 will have their bus passes available at their school for pickup between August 26 and September 13, 2019.
- Students who reside in High River, Okotoks, or students who are transported between Turner Valley and Black Diamond, MUST obtain a bus pass prior to the first day of school, students who do not have a bus pass will not be granted permission to board the bus.
- The bus schedules for in-town services will be available online on August 26, 2019.
- Rural students are not issued a bus pass. The parents of these students will be contacted by their route driver the weekend before school starts with details on pick-up times.
- Familiarize your student with the Transportation Rules & Regulations.
User Pay Transportation
Students whose residence (home address) is closer to their designated school than the distances outlined in the previous section OR school families who decide to send their children to an FSD school of choice outside their designated boundary (subject to FSD approval) do not qualify for No Fee Transportation. However, they may be provided with User Pay Transportation subject to the following conditions:
- There is room on the bus after all students who qualify for no fee transportation are accommodated;
- The route will not be changed to accommodate student pick up/drop off. School families are required to meet the bus at a scheduled stop;
- Students attending a school of choice are required to meet the bus at a scheduled stop inside the choice school boundary;
- Fees will be charged (refer below for details); and
- The provision of transportation will be reviewed on an annual basis subject to the same conditions as outlined above. There is no guarantee that space will be available from one year to the next depending on the number of students who qualify for No Fee Transportation and choose to use the service.
My student may qualify for User Pay Transportation:
- Please complete and return a Student Transportation Request Form to request service.
- Our User Pay Transportation service is available after all students who qualify for No Fee Transportation are accommodated.
- Parents will be contacted in late September / early October as available space is confirmed on the bus.
- Upon approval, the full Transportation Fee is due before your child can commence transportation services.
Annual Fee Schedule for User Pay Busing (subject to change without notice)
- Kindergarten – less than 2.4 km $100/year
- Kindergarten – school of choice (must meet the bus in-bound) $100/year
- Kindergarten to grade 3 – without older sibling & more than 1.6 km $0
- Grades 1 to 12 – designated school, less than 2.4 km $200/year
- Grades 1 to 12 – school of choice $200/year
- Family Rate – family maximum fee $450/year
- Non-FSD students attending an FSD school where there is no Letter of Understanding or Education Services Agreement in place with the resident board (Calgary & Nanton students must meet bus in-bound) $600/year
- International students $900/year
Transportation contact details:
Looking for answers? Read our Frequently Asked Transportation Questions.