May 23, 2018 - Board Meeting Highlights
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders highlights from their recent meeting. The adopted minutes will be available online following the next regular Board meeting scheduled for 1:30pm June 6, 2018 in High River.
- The Board acknowledged the traditional territories of the people of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
- The Board accepted final reading of Policy 13 – Appeals & Hearings Regarding Student Matters as presented. Terminology has been updated on this policy. No feedback was received. Superintendent John Bailey reviewed the reason for the changes to align with legislation. John Bailey outlined the ways in which draft policies are communicated as per Policy 10.
- The Board accepted the Monthly Budget Report as presented. Denise Gow, Director of Finance reviewed the current revenue and expenditure for the month of April.
- The Board accepted the 2018-2019 Preliminary Budget as presented. Drew Chipman, Assistant Superintendent provided a synopsis of the 2018-2019 Foothills School Division Budget. Corporate Services prepared a Summary Budget document that outlines how the budget reflects the Board’s goals and priorities. Revenue for 2018/2019 is projected to be $94,845,397 and expenditure at $96,680,863 with the difference to come out of operating reserves. This is to enable Division to work towards Board and provincial direction to have 5% in operating reserves.
- The Board received a Capital update from Monica Kohlhammer, Director of Planning. It was stated that the naming of the new K-9 school in Okotoks will be announced in June. A meeting regarding boundaries for the new school was well attended last week. She also reported on the modernization of EFCHS/AHSFA; Blackie School modernization and the Turner Valley School Modular Classroom.
- The Board received a Learning Services update from Pam Rannelli, Assistant Superintendent focusing on the following priorities:
- Ensure broader access to consistent and high quality learning for all students.
- Establish system-wide excellence in teaching and leadership.
- Ensure that all students learn at high levels and are held to high standards.
- Establish system-wide capacity to engage parents and the broader community as partners in promoting, supporting and informing educational excellence.
- The Board received an update on the Global Sports Academy from Allen Davidson, Assistant Superintendent including anticipated enrolment for the 2018-19 school year.
Division Celebrations and Highlights:
- Trustee Young attended the Aboriginal Games at Longview School and congratulated Darlene Cox along with Chet Musgrove for organizing the event.
- Students at Heritage Heights School will be shaving their heads for cancer research on May 31.
- The EFCHS/AHSFA Commencement Ceremony was held on May 18 – congratulations to all graduates.
- Congratulations to Foothills School Division Edwin Parr nominee Shealeigh Brandford.
- Band Festival Season is upon us – well done to all of our band students and directors for their phenomenal work.
- School Council parent volunteers are to be commended for their excellent work and dedication to Foothills School Division.
- Congratulations to students heading to Divisional sporting events.