Board Highlights - November 28
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
Presentation: Dr. Morris Gibson - Doc’s Design Lab (CPIP)
Principal Kevin Newman and Vice-Principal Bobbi Hunter presented their vision to create a responsive, meaningful, high quality learning environment for all. The DMG team developed an area above their Learning Commons into a MakerSpace. The purpose of this project was to connect the competencies of creativity, innovation, and critical thinking in order to build the capacity of both staff and students. The team now uses the Makerspace to create an optimal environment for learning. Students are able to model relevant activities and thinking routines that demonstrate creativity and flexible thinking.
Three-Year Education Plan & Annual Education Results Report
The Annual Education Results Report for the 2017-2018 school year and the Education Plan for 2018-2021 was presented. The Board of Trustees is committed to ensuring all students have the educational opportunities that will ensure their future success. To that end they have established key priorities that guide their focus across the system as follows:
- Priority One: Ensure broader access to consistent and high quality learning for all students.
- Priority Two: Establish system-wide excellence in teaching and leadership
- Priority Three: Ensure that all students learn at high levels and are held to high standards.
- Priority Four: Establish system-wide capacity to engage parents and the broader community as partners in promoting, supporting and informing educational excellence.
Fall Budget Update
Denise Gow, Director of Finance, presented the Fall Budget Update to the Board.
Audited Financial Statements
The Board approved the Audited Financial Statements for the 2017-18 school year.
Grade 5 Late Entry French Immersion
The Board has directed Administration to canvas parents within the École Percy Pegler School French Immersion boundaries to determine if there is sufficient interest to offer a Grade 5 Late Immersion class at École Percy Pegler School for the 2019-2020 school year.
Superintendent Search Update
The Board continues to work with the consultant and will be scheduling candidate interviews on January 11 & 12, 2019.
Public Announcements / Recognition / Division Highlights
- Congratulations to ESFCHS/AHSFA students Rosie Bouchard (Grade 12) and Erika Cunniam (Grade 10) for placing first and second consecutively, in Provincials Cross Country. These two students are competing for Nationals in Kingston, Ontario!
- Oilfields High School Grade 7 student Holden Atkinson has qualified for the Junior National Finals Rodeo, for the second time. Holden is the only Canadian kid to qualify for three of the junior rodeo events at the JNFR this year, including: mini bareback, saddle bronc and bull riding.
- Red Deer Lake School Grade 2 students are writing about their “dream for the future”, and the students from ESFCHS/AHSFA (Media Arts) are going to superimpose RDL student photos onto the appropriate backgrounds.
- Grade 4 and 5 students from Red Deer Lake School submitted music videos to the CBC Canadian Music Class Challenge.
- Cayley School welcomed the Rolston String Quartet to the school to conduct a violin clinic for the students.
- Spitzee School student Tate Barton was selected as the 2018 Western Legacy Awards – Calgary Stampede Youth Recipient for his philanthropic work in the community of High River.
- ESFCHS/AHSFA Fabrication students, under the direction of welding teacher Virgil Green, made a number of displays for “Light up George Lane Park” in High River.
- Christmas Concert season is upon us and Trustees, Executive Team and Directors will be attending many of these amazing productions throughout the new few weeks.
- The Board received a letter from the University of Calgary expressing gratitude to Assistant Superintendent Allen Davidson for acting as Guest Lecturer in the Bachelor of Education Program from July 18 – November 1, 2018.
- A copy of letter from the Minister of Education to the MD of Foothills was shared along with special mention of the collaborative work being done around the Blackie School Modernization request.