Board Highlights - April 10
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
Presentation: Ecole Senator Riley School Education Plan
Principal Tracey McKinnon and Vice-Principal Dorothy Paszkowski presented their school education plan, the focus of which is assessment; collaboration; continuum of supports; and a safe, caring & welcoming school.
Late Entry French Immersion
After an extensive study into the possibility of providing a Late Entry French Immersion Program, the Board moved that the Late Entry French Immersion Program be brought forward by Administration at a later date when there is sufficient interest.
Provincial Youth Mental Health Summit
The opportunity to attend this summit will be afforded to three high school students and Foothills School Division will cover the cost.
Ad Hoc Advocacy
Chair Albrecht suggested that an ad hoc committee be created in order to generate discussion items for meetings being scheduled with MLAs in the fall.
Classroom Practice Innovative Projects (CPIP)
The CPIP applications will be distributed division-wide on April 12, 2019.
Public Announcements / Recognition / Division Highlights
• Thank you to all of our volunteers! This is National Volunteer week and heartfelt thanks were expressed as we celebrate he hundreds of volunteers across the division who dedicate countless hours to assist our school community.
• Forty-nine students from EFCHS/AHSFA travelled to Cuba for a music and culture trip. They performed at the hotel, a jazz club, and two music art schools and every performance commenced with “Oh Canada”. They also brought donations of musical instruments and supplies for students in need.
• An all-candidate forum was organized by the Falcon’s United Nations for Grade 12 students at ESFCHS/AHSFA at which students learned about different party platforms and beliefs. Kudos to the organizers and thank you to the candidates who attended.
• Trustees attended the Young Authors’ Conference held at Holy Trinity Academy this year. Trustees expressed how excellent and valuable this conference is. This partnership with Christ the Redeemer Catholic School Division is excellent and future conferences will rotate between Christ the Redeemer Catholic School Division and Foothills School Division.
• The Peter Pan production at Ecole Secondaire Highwood High School received rave reviews – well done to everyone involved.
• The Big Rock School musical was amazing! We are fortunate to have such talented students.
• Assistant Superintendent Davidson acknowledged the appointments of Mr. Kevin Newman, Director of Student Learning (Early Learning) and Dr. Miriam Ramzy, Literacy Facilitator.